Debunking Mold Myths: Do Bleach and Peroxide Kill Mold?

Debunking Mold Myths: Do Bleach and Peroxide Kill Mold?

For homeowners, a mold issue is certainly one of the last things you want to worry about. Since mold is equal parts dangerous and expensive, it’s important to address the problem as quickly as possible to prevent it from getting worse. In these cases, many people try to turn to DIY remediation techniques before seeking professional help. Two common tactics you’ll read about online are bleach and peroxide,  however in reality, you should be cautious with both. 

Mold Medics is here to help. Based on our expert knowledge, we can tell you that bleach and peroxide may be able to combat mold spores, but they are not long-term remediation solutions for solving the problem. We’ll explain why below. 

Bleach 

If you read the label on your bleach bottle, you will probably see that it is only designated for non-porous surfaces. This means that chlorine bleach can only kill surface mold. Because mold can grow deep roots within porous surfaces, such as wood and drywall, bleach will not assist you in exterminating mold as it can only kill surface mold. As the chlorine cannot penetrate the spores to destroy growth at their roots, it remains on the surface while the water component of the bleach reaches further, which can actually feed the mold growth.

So, if you want to completely eliminate the mold from your home for good, bleach is definitely not the answer. You may think you have completely eliminated the mold when, in fact, you haven’t. It will likely come back worse than before. 

Chlorine bleach products are also highly toxic when inhaled. They produce fumes that pollute the air and can become harmful to both humans and pets, mainly due to a byproduct called dioxin, which is also linked to cancer. Used over time, bleach builds up these pollutants in the environment. You obviously don’t want to create more toxic chemicals in your home considering mold is toxic enough on its own. There are many safer alternatives which are also much more effective at getting rid of mold. Let the professionals (like us) handle it! 

Hydrogen Peroxide

While hydrogen peroxide does not possess the same harmful health threats that bleach does, it’s still not a totally viable solution to your mold problem. Solutions of hydrogen peroxide are not stable in sunlight, and if contaminated, the container will undergo rapid pressurization with the risk of bursting. So, o packaging and storage are an issue. In addition, hydrogen peroxide is capable of damaging certain surfaces in your home like textiles and carpeting, and if contaminated, the container will undergo rapid pressurization with the risk of bursting. Hydrogen peroxide also has no bacteriostatic or fungistatic capability, and is susceptible to degradation if contaminated. 

Therefore, containers and any water diluent must be very clean. Peroxide is only stable under acidic conditions. As a result, it can damage surfaces that are not acid-stable.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about Pittsburgh’s best mold remediation process, our environmentally-friendly services and exceptionally fair pricing!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top