A mold infestation in your home is often an expensive and dangerous issue, especially when it’s a case of toxic black mold. Unfortunately, toxic black mold is common in the Pittsburgh area. It’s visible in the form of a dark fungus with a distinct musty mildew odor that releases toxic spores called mycotoxins, which cause a range of unpleasant and even dangerous symptoms in humans and pets if ingested or inhaled.
Some people are more sensitive to it than others, but the long-term effects of toxic black mold exposure can lead to a wide range of mold-related illnesses and health complications.
Where and How Does Toxic Black Mold Grow?
Considering toxic black mold thrives off moisture in order to survive, it’s found in damp and humid spaces like your basement, bathroom, attic, and laundry room. It’s attracted to surfaces high in cellulose—carpet, drywall, insulation, ceiling tiles, and wood paneling—and can spread like wildfire when gone untreated in the proper environment.
Aside from your home, common places with frequent mold infestations include greenhouses, flower shops, gyms, community pools, construction areas, saunas, and small summer cottages.
How Dangerous is it?
The dangers of black mold depend on the severity of the infestation and the time of exposure. In cases of prolonged exposure, there’s an increased risk for an allergic reaction to the toxic spores. This can lead to mold-related illnesses such as upper respiratory problems that are particularly dangerous to children, elderly, pregnant women, and those with pre-existing conditions.
According to the Center for Disease Control, the National Institute of Medicine (IOM) found in 2004 that there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheezing in otherwise healthy people. People with weakened immune systems from receiving cancer chemotherapy treatments or undergoing an organ or stem cell transplant are more prone to health complications.
In most cases, typical toxic black mold symptoms and health effects are primarily associated with a respiratory response. For anyone, coughing and sneezing, eye inflammation and irritation, mucus in the nose and throat, rashes, fatigue, and recurring headaches are all common and treatable by your primary care provider.
Those with allergies or asthma should receive medical attention immediately if experiencing severe symptoms of:
- Uncontrollable coughing
- Allergic reactions
- Chest colds
- Shortness of Breath
If you’re facing a black mold problem, don’t wait for symptoms to arise. Contact Mold Medics today to learn more about our six-step mold remediation process, environmentally-friendly services, and fair pricing!